Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Last Stand and Touch Blue

I recently read The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick. It is about the battle between Custer and Sitting Bull in which Custer died. There is, understandably, a lot of background information about the battle between the various tribes of indians and the whites and the indians. It was disconcerting on several levels -- humans just behave abominable sometimes -- but also very interesting. It's a topic that I really didn't know much about.

One thing that was a little curious was that there isn't that much actual information about how Custer really died.... his whole entire group was obliterated and there were not too many eyewitnesses, so I guess there's just not that much good information. Still, I was surprised.

Taking a break from the wars with the indians, I read Touch Blue by Cynthia Lord (see Abby's post on this book below). Like Abby, I loved it! I think I read it in only one day. This marvelous author addresses difficult situations with charm and grace and humor. It is truly a gem for all ages about 10 and up! I also HIGHLY recommend Rules... it somewhat explains our family!

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I've been to your blog...yeah I am always looking for good books to read and now I can just go here!

    ReplyDelete