Sunday, October 10, 2010

Silas Marner

I recently re-read Silas Marner by George Eliot. Oh, my goodness! How I love this book! It's theme of love and kindness overcoming sadness and pain is so beautiful, and it is so tender. I never get tired of reading certain classics.... I gain some knowledge every time and they always feel fresh. This is one of those to me. This book has so many interesting relationships -- the townspeople one with another, the townspeople with Silas (I love the growth here!) and the relationship between Eppie and Silas. I also enjoy the imagery of the town and the stone pit -- and the colorful imagery of the gold of both Silas' money and Eppie's hair. It's just marvelous and heartwarming.

When Eppie comes into Silas' life, he begins to be healed emotionally and he begins to reach out to other people in his community. My own children have helped me heal in many ways, and I often think about all the people I admire and know because of connections forged by my children. I think I meet the best people in the world through my triplets.

I am thankful for this book... each time I read it I am reminded of the true richness of life.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I've never read this classic. I know the story though, and I can't wait to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete