Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Just so you know, I really enjoy The Chronicles of Narnia. I think they're so cool. Harry Potter is still my favorite, but these are right up there. Sometimes I don't doubt that Narnia is a real place.

Last night, my family went to see the newest Narnia movie in 3D. I was a little nervous, because I really disliked the last movie, Prince Caspian, for reasons listed below. The first one, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's absolutely fantastic.

Prince Caspian I didn't like because they took all the religion out of it. All the symbolism was gone, and a whole extra battle was added in. It was lame! Frankly, The Chronicles of Narnia are nothing without the religion. There isn't any deep plot line to follow unless you've got the religion, the characters are boring without the religion, and it's really not that exciting of a story without the religion. C.S. Lewis wrote those books for all of the religion and symbolism. I think he wanted to teach us about Christ in a different way. The books are beautiful and fascinating and wonderful with the religion in them, and it shouldn't be removed. That is why I disliked Prince Caspian. (Okay, dislike is an understatement. I was scowling as I left the movie theater, and pretty angry about it for a couple weeks.)
Taking the religion out of a Narnia movie is like taking out the character of Harry Potter in a Harry Potter movie. Stupid.

But this one was much better. A lot more of the symbolism was in there...they didn't go over the part where Aslan helps Eustace go from a dragon to a boy again as much as I thought they should (that part is very symbolic in the book, it's really interesting) but overall it was awesome. Speaking of which, the kid who played Eustace was absolutely perfect for the part. He was just as annoying and obnoxious as the character in the book. It was so perfect!

Anyway, I would recommend this movie. It was cool in 3D, and it was much improved from Prince Caspian. Much. Overall I really enjoyed it. (Reepicheep was one of my favorite characters, he's so cute.)

FOR NARNIA!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you liked it Abby. I'm hoping to see it over Christmas with my family, and I definitely trust your judgement on the Narnia movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on the importance of the Christian symbolism in the Chronicles. That's what it's all about!

    I am so excited to see this one but I'm sad to hear that the part about Eustace shedding the dragon skin wasn't as powerful as you'd hoped. That is my favorite part of this book and I've used the story in several talks and lessons on repentance.

    P.S. Narnia feels like a real place to me too. I really want to go there someday!

    ReplyDelete